Chaguaramas History  
The Chaguaramas Development Authority is currently engaged in detailed research of it's Chaguaramas Historical Events. 

Chaguaramas, the north western peninsula of Trinidad, because of it’s location, played a significant role in the annals of Trinidad’s history and indeed the history of the world.

Numerous historical events took place in Chaguaramas over the years. In 1805 there was a slave revolt on the Chaguaramas sugar plantations owned by the French planters and eight years later, in 1813, the first re-invasion of Venezuela by patriots, was orchestrated form Chacahacare island  under the leadership of Santiago Marino. There was a thriving whaling in Chaguaramas during the late half of the eighteenth century and names such as Pt. Baleine and Copper hole are remnants of the history. Gaspar Grande and Monos were places where whaling stations operated. There was also a whaling station on the island that is known as Chacachacare. The islands Chacachacare, Huevos Monos and gaspar grande form part of the Chaguaramas off-shore archipelago.

 

On june 13th 1944, the audience at Club Versailles, New York, encored the song “rum and coca-cola”, a song made popular four months later by the Andrew sisters, who at the time was one of America’s favourite female singings group. Little did the audience know that the song was originally written by Trinidadian Rupert Westmore Grant (calypso sobriquet – Lord Invader), it was a composition arising from the social upheaval caused by the arrival of united states marines during World War II to Chaguaramas, Trinidad. 

 

The arrival of the Spanish to Chaguaramas eventually led to the flight of the Amerindians. For many years the only people found in the Bocas were pirates who lurked on the south of Gasparee, awaiting the traders who sailed to Venezuela.