Chaguaramas History  

The history of Chaguaramas begins with Saladoid Amerindian, following the Spanish, French and British occupation. In 1941 it was recognized for its strategic, geographic lo¬cation when it was leased to the U.S. Government for 99 years, for use as a naval base. At the peak of World War II it was housing some 30,000 resident U.S. troops.ions economically and environmentally viable. 

CDA History  
  • The Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA) is a statutory body of the government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, governed by the CDA Act (Chap: 35:02).
  • Following the decision to close the naval base and hand over the peninsula to the Government of Trinidad and Tobago in 1967, the Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA) was, by an Act of Parliament in 1972, established to undertake the layout out and development of the North West Peninsula & Offshore Islands (Gaspar  Grande,  Gasparillo, Monos, Huevos and Chacachacare) in the interest of the people of Trinidad and Tobago in conformity with the requirements of the Town and Country Planning Act (Chap 35:01).
  • Under the act (Chap 3:02), the CDA is vested with all the lands of the northwest peninsula including the Offshore Islands. Development of this region is paramount to the economic thrust of Trinidad and Tobago, especially in the areas of tourism and investment opportunities.
  • Such development must be within the confines of a Master Plan which seeks the sustainable maximization of the North Western Peninsula’s potential by creating opportunities which will make the CDA’s operations economically and environmentally viable.